Okay moms I need your help! I really have no idea what I'm doing and what to get. Yes the baby is due in 6 weeks and we don't have any of the big stuff yet. We like to take our time. Haha. We did order a portable swing and a Puj tub the other day. I need your help and advice with a few other big items!
We obviously don't have a car here in NY, but we need one for when he comes home from the hospital and if we ever take a taxi. We also need a stroller. I was originally thinking of getting a travel system so that I could just use the car seat inside of the stroller and not feel like it was a waste to get a car seat. Then I realized that they are pretty heavy and cumbersome. I need one that is lightweight and easily foldable for traveling on the subway and buses. I also need one that will work in the city and possibly the snow and rain. I don't wanna spend a lot of money, but we'd like a decent, safe one. We are thinking now that we will just get a Graco car seat and then buy one of those Snap N' Go stroller bases that we can attach the car seat to. They are inexpensive, lightweight, and have a large basket and cup holders. What do you think about that option? It will only work while he fits in the infant car seat, but that is until he is like 30 pounds. We'd like to keep both under $300.00. Or would you just get a lighter weight City Mini Jogger that can adapt a car seat into it?
The other question I have is: Would you get a Pack N' Play with a bassinet insert for him to sleep in, or a jr. crib that is on wheels and can easily move from room to room? It's 35% smaller than a normal crib. We don't have room for a full size crib here. I don't think we need a baby monitor because we'll hear him easily with our one bedroom apartment. We don't need a bouncer and a swing right? Also, we have Bumbo with a tray already so we really won't need a highchair for awhile right? Anyway, any advice or any other suggestions are highly appreciated. Are there any other must have items that I'm not aware of? Thanks so much in advance!
Last question: Did you use a breast pump? If so, which brand, and did you get an electric or a manual pump? I have read that manual ones are just as good, if not more convenient and much less expensive.
P.S. I already have a Bjorn carrier and a Boppy! ; )
Last question: Did you use a breast pump? If so, which brand, and did you get an electric or a manual pump? I have read that manual ones are just as good, if not more convenient and much less expensive.
P.S. I already have a Bjorn carrier and a Boppy! ; )

14 comments:
I got one of those snap n' go strollers when Katie was born and I LOVED it. Can't wait to use it again with the new baby, it is by far my favorite stroller becuase it is so small and light weight and easy. As for the crib a pack n play is great becuase it doubles as a travel crib if you ever go anywhere- plus it's just something you will want to have even a kid or two down the road. And it stores easily when you're done with it. Bumbos are awesome too. You won't need to worry about a hair chair for quite a while. Other things I recommend: oxy clean spray stain remover, to spray on baby clothes when you do laundry so poop, spit up, etc doesn't stain. It works really well if you spray it on right away. And for diaper rashes- get a bottle of baby powder and when it is all gone fill it back up with cornstarch. Works great for diaper rash. That's all I can think of for now. Gook luck!
I had the snap n' go and I liked it. I preferred my bob over it though, just because it's such a smooth ride. But the snap n' go is easy. I know that my sister Sarah had a Macleran stroller-the seat lays down so her carseat was able to fit. Macleran's are great because they are so compact and fit everywhere, and they're lightweight too. Yes, I do think you'll want a bouncer. You need somewhere to put them other than the floor or the bed. It's nice to have something to put them in when you are getting ready, or making dinner. It's fun to have them right by your side. Swing-we never used one. Some parents say they are a must...but not me. But if you have the swing, you might not need the bouncer.
What also might be nice is some type of carrying system. When you don't want to take the stroller and you're just walking around town, it'd be nice to stick him in something so your arms don't get tired.
For sleeping, we just used a tiny cradle for the first 5 months. The only reason we stopped using it was because we were moving. They can go a good six months, but once they get mobile you'll want something bigger. I'd suggest a Pack N' Play...don't know what the jr. crib is. But the Pack N' Play could also be used when he is older to play in.
Good luck!
By the way...you are tiny! And you look so good. Looks like you guys are having fun!
Get the snap and go because the travel system is nice for the first 3 months but then after that the stroller is not good quality and it's so bulky. Buy a Mclarian when he's old enough to sit up and us the snap n go until then
You won't need a high hair until the baby starts eating solids or until he starts to wiggle out.
As far as things I have loved having and you have to have:
http://itzbeen.com/
believe me this will change your life. You need it.
Diaper ointment I use A&D and Viv never had a diaper rash. I swear by it. Anytime I saw redness coming on I would put that on and it would never flair up.
Swaddle blankets- I like Aden and Anais best.
Boppy- makes nursing/holding the baby so much easier and when they get older I use it while they sleep to prop them up when they have a cold. Helps them not be so congested.
Hopes that helps. Good luck, girl! I am always here if you have any questions, the first couple months can be really hard so just sleep when the baby sleeps and enjoy the newborn phase because it doesn't last long. :)
my swing saved my life with molly and i'm so glad i have one. but if you don't have a lot of room you'd survive without it. it's just a nice luxury.
the other thing that absolutely saved my life was the miracle blanket. it's a swaddling blanket like no other, with no velcro or ties. we started using it for her in the hospital and she was sleeping for six hour stretches within a couple weeks. go to miracleblanket.com to check it out. we are big time believers. it's worth the money, trust me. the trick is to be consistent with it too.
i used a breast pump - medela - because i was working and needed to pump. but now that i have one i'm glad because it's nice to have that option and there will come times as your milk is coming in that you will definitely want one. but you don't have to buy a super nice one. they have cheaper hand pumping ones that you could get for those times of need.
we bought a pack n play w/ a bassinet for the new baby and i haven't tried it yet but i think it'll work good. i would rather have a cute little bassinet but we needed the travel option so that's what we went with.
hope this helps! crazy that you're so close!!
My advice would be to think long term, I know you guys are there now, but what is going to work best long term, when you leave the baby will be 6/7 months? So I would think what would be best for when you get home too. People I know who have gotten those snap and go's love them. Also, I wouldn't get the pack n' play, they aren't very soft, and the baby won't out grow it, again, only being 6 or 7 month when you leave.
I would also get a bouncer. Luke LOVED the bouncer when I was cooking, or just wanted to be up and seeing things, but couldn't sit up, or didn't want to be in the corner in the swing. But I loved the swing cause he slept like a champ in it :) Good luck! We returned a couple of swings before we found the one we liked.
Just keep your receipts!!!
I would suggest a bouncer also. We have used our bouncer with all 3 kids and it is wonderful. I will put Sophie in it and put it by the table so she can fill like she is part of the family. I am using it right now to feed her. She can't sit up great yet so I just put the bouncer on the counter and she sits in it while I feed her cereal.
Natalie said she just used her Bumbo to feed Kelsey instead of a highchair.
Good luck!
We use a pack-n-play (without a bassinet) for Scarlett. I love it. When you go home for Christmas, you can just put it down and take it with you. The mini crib is awesome (my mom has one for when Scarlett is there) but it's not as easy for travel, etc. Although it folds flat, it still has the wheels and you can't take it on the plane with you anywhere you go. We love the pack-n-play too as you can use it a looong time, even when you aren't living in NYC anymore. Don't worry about a highchair. By the time you need one, you probably won't be living in nYC anymore, so it's one less thing to pack and move. Just use the bumbo. Start using the Bjorn the first week so he can get used to it. Scarlett currently HATES her carrier and we are leaving for Florida in three days and were relying on using that a lot while we were there. LoL. The GRACO systems are ridiculously heavy, so if you're going to be using the public systems on your own, I wouldn't recommend one. Although, I don't have a better suggestion :) If you have a swing, I wouldn't worry about the bouncer. It's just one more thing to take up space and practically does the same thing. Use the swing immediately too! Scarlett likes hers, but won't fall asleep in it because we started using it so late. Once she's done swinging, she yells at me until I go get here, then falls asleep in my arms instead of just falling asleep in the swing (punk). :) Text me if you have questions too as I'm going through it as you are! :)
-Julianne
I'll keep mine brief since many have ditto'd what I think... 1st off... get a electric. I just bought a fairly cheap evenflo since I didn't pump til C was 9 months. Pack n Play with bassinet. The bassinet is WONDERFUL for being by ur bed for easy access for midnite feedings. ( Carter still sleeps in his PnP while we are in Indy since bringing the crib was not an option. I got no clue on the strollers, just make sure it has a cup holder and a place to stash blanket/treats. as far as other stuff... LEARN HOW TO SWADDLE. If I have ONE piece of advice... it's find the DVD "Happiest Baby on the Block". Watch it with the hubsters. Danny was better at swaddling than me and he was very proud of that fact. It's about a 20 minute video and we used the tips in it for the 1st 4-5 months of C's life. (there's a book too, but I never got the time to read it). The DVD shows you exactly what to do. It's a miracleworker. OK my response was longer than planned. Good luck with everything!!
You need a pump. Let me repeat that... you NEED a pump. A good double electric one. Seriously. I know you can rent them, but you might as well pay to buy one because I'm sure you will use it. If for nothing else, you can pump some nights and let John feed the little guy to give you some extra sleep. That's my best piece of advice... other than that... looks like you know what you are doing!! So excited for you guys!!
I only have experience with one type of everything you are curious about. So take it for what its worth. If I understand what a snap 'n' go stroller its a stroller that you can hook the baby carrier into?? I had that and really really loved it. They are in the backward facing seat for at least a year and to fold it was super easy and I LOVE the big basket. But I only used his carrier + the stroller for about six months. Then Alex wanted to look around and see everything and he couldn't do that properly from a rear facing baby seat. So I just strapped him in the stroller when we went out. When you don't have a car thats difficult. My sisters swear by a jogging stroller because they are easier to push and very maneuverable and smaller. But I don't think you can get one with a baby carrier that is under $300...
I would get the pack and play with a bassinet. Al slept in the laundry basket for the first few months of his life and then we transferred him to his crib. If you don't have room for a crib then for sure a pack 'n' play because your probably not going to be moving him from room to room so that's not a huge deal. Plus most pack 'n' plays have wheels.
Everyone that I know swears by Bumbo's. I personally think they are awesome. But Alex HATED them. Would not sit in them at all. He'd arch his back and try to dive out off the sides of it. SO... pray your kid likes the bumbo and you'll be set. If he is like Alex though I recommend the chair high chair from Wal Mart. I got it because it was the cheapest thing they had AND it's turned out to be one of my favorite things of Alex's. It converts from cereal feeding kids to baby food/read food and then to a booster seat for toddlers. It straps to your kitchen chairs so it takes up no extra space. Anyway- I love love love love my kids high chair.
I'd recommend a swing. Its just so nice to have when you need to shower or you just need two hands. Most kids love them and they can play songs and are just awesome. We didn't use ours a ton, but it was sure nice to have.
As for a baby monitor, you're right you will probably not need one in a smaller apartment. However, I know this is the more expensive option but I really really wish I had a video monitor. There are SO many reasons they cry when they are in bed and some of them you need to just leave them alone because they are fine and just want you to come in. But then there are other reasons they cry; they've thrown up, threw their bottle/binkie/blanket out of the crib and you need to go in and get it. But how do you know? I can't tell you how many naps I've ruined because I went in when I didn't need to. So... just a suggestion. I really really wish I had one.
Um.... you NEED an electric pump. Just imagine pumping out 2-6 oz of milk from one side with your hands. It's not fun. Electric is SO much better. I got the cheapest one from Medula (or something like that), yes it was still $100 but SO worth it. You'll use it for every kid. It takes kind of a long time, but you can't be too picky when you have to go cheap :-)
Sadly everything that worked for Alex might not work for yours. So it's hard to give advice. Al LOVED to be swaddled, so much so that I went to Toys R Us and bought a swaddlers blanket that was awesome. But I also know of kids that hate it. So....
Butt Paste works miracles.
Dr. Browns bottles are worth EVERY penny! They aren't that much more expensive but they are AWESOME and I love them.
Get a rocking chair of some sort.
Hooter Hiders are the best invention. You can easily make one or blankets work just fine too.
Ya... this is getting too long, I'm sure. He's almost here! Woo Hoo!!!
Hi! Baby Shat...let's see...there's a lot!!
We got a Graco snug ride car seat that holds up to 35lbs and a Maclaren snap and go stroller base. I liked the Maclaren better than the Graco option cause it was a little more sturdy and taller for Scott and I. It has a huge basket but it's hard to get stuff into it when the seat is on it. It has been an easy stroller and all my family members lust after it since they had much bigger travel systems that were a pain. With that being said though....You baby has to be in his carseat to use one of those. If you are going to be a city momma you are not going to need your carseat as much, I wouldn't spend a ton on that for this baby. You might be better off just getting a solid stroller like the City Mini. I just ordered the new Britax one that is just like the City Mini that I was planning on getting...but the Britax was 40 bucks cheaper.
I borrowed my sisters nice electric double pump, I used it a bunch at the beginning. They are pricey and I know it sounds gross to borrow someones but I bought my own "kit"- tubes, boob attachment things, bottles, so really you are just using the air pump part. I would look into borrowing or renting one first to see if you really use it. My sister is on her last baby and then I will just keep using hers for future babies.
We got a video monitor off Craigslist for a hundred bucks and i LOVE it. I didn't use it a ton at the beginning cause you are feeding/checking on him all the time anyway. But I use it a ton now and highly recommend it. We have put him to bed in his crib in his roon since the beginning and its great to be able to peak at him when he makes sounds so you know if he really needs you or not.
We have a swing which i was not planning on getting but was given as a gift....blesss them...it has been amazing, but I saw you got a bouncer which will probably do the trick too.
Oh, the pump was Medella, I think that's how you spell it.
And don't worry, there is plenty more baby crap to come...every stage has more stuff!! The Bjorn is great, I used that a ton and just got the Ergo since my baby is massive. I sling would probably be really useful for you in the city. At the beginning it is easier just to wear them cause they are so tiny.
Okay, I think that's it. Good luck!!! He is going to be here before you know it. Oh, and my friends Whitney and Bryan Perkinson live there...in your ward? She is expecting too and super fun, you should be friends. :)
You should contact Diana - she recently moved to NYC from San Fran and so she's going through everything you're going through... without a car. She orders a ton off of amazon and just did a blog post about amazon for moms.
http://dananddianahulme.blogspot.com/
She'll help you! Contact her.
Hi Audrey! Thanks for the comment. It looks like you have lots of good advice already. We use two cribs right now, Oliver is 5 months and he is kind of loud while sleeping so we have a portable wood crib out in the main room, and a pack n play in our bedroom. We use the pack n play for naps and when he goes down at 6pm, and then at 10pm when he wakes up to eat I switch him out to the main room crib. So, that's an option later on when your baby is older and you don't want him right next to you. :) Let's see...strollers. I got the baby jogger city mini, and bought the car seat adapter. We moved when he was 6 weeks old to NYC and I didn't want to deal with the carseat + stroller in the subways, so I never ended up using the adapter. I just started putting him in the stroller at about 2 months with it reclined all the way and blankets on the sides. It was perfectly fine, and now he sits upright in it. It is really handy to be able to fold it up quickly. But, it's still a pain in general to carry a baby and a stroller and a diaper bag, etc. up and down stairs, so I often use our Beco baby carrier instead. I think I might eventually get a lightweight umbrella stroller too, for subway rides where there isn't an elevator. I would definitely get an electric pump. Can you imagine pumping with your hand for 15-30 minutes? That would get really tiring. I have the Medela Swing. I only used it for when Oliver was waking up a ton at night, I would pump in the morning and Dan would feed him the first night shift so that I could get a little sleep. It was a lifesaver. I just used the Medela bottles that came with it. Boppy, Bumbo, Bjorn - they're all great. :) If you have any more questions let me know! My email is dianahulme@gmail.com
Oh, and we have a video monitor - Summer Infant Slim Handheld. It's been nice (even though we don't have 2 bedrooms).
Post a Comment