This place is great and everything, but there are some funny/strange things I've noticed here over the past few weeks... Please allow me to explain. I ♥ America!
- They do NOT have 1 Pound Notes here! They only have Notes (Bills) between 5-50! They do have 1 pound coins though. (As well as 1 Pence all the way to 2 Pound coins! How strange is that? Like if you buy something at the store that is under 5 pounds, they give you back all these coins! This is also very inconvenient when you are trying to get money out of the ATM or something (like to pay rent,) They give you out a bunch of 20 pound Notes, and therefore leaves you with tons more cash then you would otherwise have. The Notes do look pretty cool though...Silly Brits...
- There is No plug outlet in our bathroom! How lame is that? So I have to blow dry my hair in the hallway by a mirror! It's kind of funny. I'm not sure if that is a British thing, or if we got skrewed...
- There is also No fan that works in our Bathroom! I think there might be a switch high up on the ceiling, but It doesn't work. Kind of crappy when the mirror fogs up after someone showers! : )
- Garbage is called "Rubbish" here. You put your rubbish out on the street 3 days a week and they come and pick it up. They do have public Litter cans on the street, but they are hard to find! Whenever I see one I get all excited and throw something in there just cause I can!
- On the Underground Station they say "Mind The Gap" instead of "Watch Your Step" or whatever... everywhere so you will watch your step getting off! It cracks me up!
- There is pretty much NO RANCH here! What the heck? I love Ranch and like to put it on my salads and dip veggies in it. I did finally get some ranch at Subway, but it was not the same! : (
- Their soft drinks all taste different than in the states. They use real sugar in their Coke instead of Corn Syrup like in the states.
- They have some of the same candy here but it doesn't taste the same either. They do have lots new delicious candy's I have loved! For example: Digestives! They have a really bad name but taste like Christmas morning! Apparently you can buy them in the States at like World Market stores! : ) You should go get some today!
- Everyone looks so different here, but they a lot of them talk with a British accent. (Which is so cute!) You never know where someone is from by their looks. It is a HUGE melting pot here!
- If someone opens their mouth and I can see their teeth, I'll know whether they are a Brit or not. Their teeth are all HORRIBLE!! I guess they only go to the dentist when they have a problem with their teeth here! It's actually kind of a fun game for me to play when I see people!
- This is an obvious one, but in London they drive on the Left side of the street. We aren't driving here, but when you are walking through intersections it makes for a different experience! You have to look in the opposite direction before you cross! Their steering wheels are also on the Right instead of the Left here. It's cool to look inside parked cars and see how different it looks! Basically everything here is opposite as in the U.S.!
- Our Apartment does not have a garbage disposal here! We just throw away extra food in the garbage can. I'm not sure if that is common here or not.
- You have to have a key each time you open our front door! There is no handle like on a regular door. You just have to turn it then push it open.
- There are very old buildings here, but lots of fun modern furniture inside them that I LOVE SEEING! So fun to window shop!
- Harrods is World famous and apparently is someone famous goes in there, they will sell them WHATEVER they want! It doesn't matter if they don't have it in the store! They pride themselves on this! Wow...Stupid celebrities!
- We have a washer/dryer combo in our apt. and are VERY lucky to have this. The only problem with it, is that it takes about 3 hours to dry a small load of clothes! Sucky huh? Be glad for your dryer you have in your house!
That is all I can think of for now...Like it wasn't very much..Oh by the Way, I made a Design Blog where I will post all of my design inspiration pictures to my heart's content! If you like looking at beautiful, funky pictures-- please check it out! Here is the address: http://www.audreysdesignblog.blogspot.com
PEACE OUT FOR NOW!
5 comments:
i love that you are enjoying how different other countries are. I went through the same kind of thing when I started living in Costa Rica....of course things aren't as nice there, but still little differences that you smile at.
MIND THE GAP :)
I love hearing about all the funny differences. I wonder what people would say our funny differences are. Lance and I are always laughing about the funny things his Australian bosses/co-workers say. Like they call chicken nuggets "breast munchies". And they say "okie" instead of okay. I'm excited for your new blog!
Ha! You ARE getting screwed with the lack of bathroom plugs. I've stayed in a few homes in my various trips there and we always had plugs. Too bad! :(
My Study Abroad director once told us, "Keep your mouths shut and no one will know you're not a local." This was in reference both to our accents and our teeth!
Loving the blog! The jealousy continues!
We don't have any outlets in the bathroom either. The reason they don't is they clean the bathrooms by spraying water all over everything. I don't know if its the same in London. Isn't it weird how different people are in other parts of the world?
Oh and those washer/dryer combos are awful! We have one and we ended up buying a dryer cause I hated using it.
Post a Comment