Capable of seating 50,000 spectators, the Colosseum was used for gladiatorial contests and public spectacles. As well as the gladiatorial games, other public spectacles were held there, such as mock sea battles, animal hunts, executions, re-enactments of famous battles, and dramas based on Classical mythology. The building ceased to be used for entertainment in the early medieval era. It was later reused for such purposes as housing, workshops, quarters for a religious order, a fortress, a quarry, and a Christian shrine.
It has been estimated that about 500,000 people and over a million wild animals died in the Colosseum games.
Although in the 21st century it stays partially ruined due to damage caused by devastating earthquakes and stone-robbers, the Colosseum is an iconic symbol of Imperial Rome and its breakthrough achievements in earthquake engineering. It is one of Rome's most popular tourist attractions and still has close connections with the Roman Catholic Church, as each Good Friday the Pope leads a torchlit "Way of the Cross" procession around the various levels of the amphitheatre."
It was really neat to see The Colosseum! Then we went to the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill. It was all in ruin and was really cool to see. We saw the Pantheon, went to the original Trajan's Column, and ended out the day at Trevi Fountain. We also had lots of delicious gelato. Such a rad, warm day in Rome!
Thanks Debbie for this very helpful book on Rome!
What it used to look like and then today.
John as "The Thinker."
Arch of Titus.
The Forum/Palatine Hill.
Arch of Constantine.
I was about to pee my pants! Luckily we found a nasty outhouse! Lucky me!
It was funny because the seller was sleeping! Luckily I'm not a thief!
Piazza-Venezia-Vitoriano.
The guards were blowing whistles at anyone that sat down on the steps. It was kind of funny.
Trajan Column.
The Pantheon.
Trevi Fountain.

















































































































7 comments:
Wow!!! Now you guys are the ones that have been busy! I bet it was so fun having your mom and dad there to tour the beautiful sites with! I can't believe all the amazing pictures of all the amazing places you guys went! So awesome. What a chance of a lifetime for you guys.
Wait, I don't get it. Where do you search and how? What words do you use? I have seen blog layout sites, but none of them have as cute of stuff as you do.
How fun! I'm glad you got to see Europe. Riding on a night train is crazy, huh? Try doing it in just the regular seats! Dave and I were too cheap to get sleeping cars, so we slept on super uncomfortable seats, but it was always an adventure. Can't wait to see the rest of your trip!
I heart Italy... I'm glad you got to go!!
that is so awesome, i would LOVE to go to rome one day :)
that is so awesome, i would LOVE to go to rome one day :)
hey hey hey!
do you possibly have matching sunglasses!?
i love raybans!
Post a Comment