11/16/09

Paris III

Our third day in Paris was my favorite!!! It was a Sunday, so we decided to go to church. I was a little hesitant because we forgot to pack church clothes and I knew I wouldn't be able to understand anything that was being said. Lucky for us, they had English translating headsets that were given out to members that only spoke English. Besides, French is so beautiful to listen to anyway it's not like it would have been painful to hear just the French! They even had an English Sunday school class! I thought that was so neat. After church we headed over to The Rodin Museum. He is a famous sculptor; best known for doing "The Thinker" statue. While he was working and making all these sculptures, he made a deal with Paris. He would donate all of his work, if they put him up in a place to stay. Not just any place. This place was glorious! This is where the museum is today. The grounds are just beautiful. Inside there were some cool pieces and some famous artwork displayed. Outside there were more statues and a beautiful water fountain. Then we walked over to the Eiffel Tower! This is what I had been waiting to see! It was so much grander, cooler and bigger than I had ever imagined! It really does takes your breath away when you first see it! We got there a couple hours before dusk. We knew we wanted to see it in the daylight and at night. We decided to go in the Eiffel Tower. We waited in a big line and then went up. My parents decided to not go up. We walked up ALL the steps instead of taking the elevator. Let me tell you, there were a ton of steps to climb! I always have such a hard time going up steps. I guess I need to get in better shape... Anyway, we made it to the first floor and took some pics. Did you know that there is a museum, a theater, a restaurant, a gift shop, and a cafe inside the Eiffel Tower??? All of that stuff repeats on the second level! I mean...that is crazy. That just tells you just how big it really is. We hiked up to the second level and took more pictures and a video that I'll be posting. It was just awesome to go see the views of the city. John even spotted my parents from all the way up there! We got some delicious snacks and a beverage. Then we took the lift down. After that it was not quite time for the light show. We went and got a baguette, waited inside the underground station and came back just in time to see it. It was so rad! It's much cooler looking at night! The sparkly lights lasted about 5 minutes. John took a couple of videos of it so you can see for yourself. Please excuse ALL of the pics of the Tower itself. There were just so many cool ones I couldn't resist! This was my favorite thing we have seen while we've been over here! Oh how I heart you Eiffel Tower! Anyway, it was such a fun day!


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is the outside entrance to the LDS church.

Photobucket

Photobucket

There He is!

Photobucket

Photobucket

This was a creeper we saw looking at us in the church courtyard. We just had to take a pic of the peeping Tom.

Photobucket

This is the Rodin Museum.

Photobucket

Another flower shot for Debbie! : )

Photobucket

The Thinker statue.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The Burghers of Calais.

Photobucket

Distant glimpse of the Eiffel Tower.

Photobucket

Our shadows.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I just had to give him the Peace sign...

Photobucket

Photobucket

An unfinished piece of work.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is a sculpture of Auguste Rodin.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is a painting of Rodin.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Outside of The museum.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

A sweet Audi John spotted.

Photobucket

Finally the Eiffel Tower!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

If you take the elevator up, this is what it looks like.

Photobucket

Photobucket

One of the MASSIVE legs!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Before climbing the steps...

Photobucket

This is me DEAD TIRED after climbing all the stairs up.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Beautiful views of Paris.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Look how small the people look.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here is my mom and dad!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

A video of the views.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

John with his delicious snack and a coke.

Photobucket

Photobucket

This was funny. These two handicapped people were parked right in front of the bench! Really?

Photobucket

So this is where I had to sit to eat my pan au chocolate.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Another video...


Photobucket

This is the old control room.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I like this one! Look in his sunglasses.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Benjamin Franklin.

Photobucket

Look how big this baguette is!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

First video of the Sparkling Eiffel Tower.

Second sparkly video.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

4 comments:

F Hassinger said...

Hi guys, we about died over your great shots, John! Where are the photographic awards?!! (because they're deserved!) Did you notice the Statue of Liberty at the far end of the island in the middle of the river Seine? Your telephoto shot of the island shows it nicely. All those pics make one feel like they're right there!!! (In my case, I WAS there---therefore,pinching myself!!!)

Stephanie and Daniel said...

I'm on the verge of tears:-) 3 years ago to the day you posted this was Daniel and I's first kiss under the sparkling Eiffel Tower... sniff sniff. I LOVED the Rodan gardens. And LOVED the pastries. I'm so excited for you guys! So much fun! It's beautiful.

Haley and Lance (but probably just Haley) said...

I'm glad you took so many of the Eiffel Tower because it's cool to see it from so many different angles. How gorgeous! Your camera takes such good night pictures, and really good video too. I love the view from up there. I also love the Creeper - I'm glad you captured him on film. :)

sasha said...

i'm dying.
i want to go to paris soooo bad.
i just need to hop on the plane and go.

thinking about taking time off of work and finance will NEVER allow me to go there.