The next day we left early on a train to Visp, Switzerland. The only problem was, was that we didn't get off in time and missed our stop in Visp! We had to go an extra 20 miles to the next stop. We then got on the next train back to Visp, then we waited until the train to Zermatt got there. Visp was so breathtaking! It was also very FREEZING!!! We were not prepared with warm enough clothes to go to Switzerland. Oops! What were we thinking? I had to borrow John's big snowboard coat! Thank goodness he had that I could wear. Even though I looked ridiculous in it! : ) We had to get on a special train that went all the way up the mountain to Zermatt. It was such a beautiful, scenic journey up the mountain. Switzerland is just how you'd picture it! Straight out of the movie Heidi. Most of the pics I'm posting were taken by John through our train window, so some of them don't look very good. We got up to Zermatt and trekked to our hostel. Let me tell you this hostel was pretty janky! Luckily we got a shared room with my mom and dad. All the showers were in the basement and it was freezing down in the basement. It was so inconvenient! Oh well. It was a good price for Switzerland, and it was the only place we could find, and the only place we stayed that had internet! We were so excited because the Swiss Franc is valued about the same as the U.S. dollar. Well come to find out that everything in Switzerland was like 3 times the price we're used to paying! HAHA. That night the only place we could bring ourselves to eat at was McDonalds! Too funny! The average price of a meal there was about 16 francs! Did I mention up in the mountains they speak German? In other parts of Switzerland they speak French. Then we saw what we came there to see: The Matterhorn! It was so cool to see it. P.S. It's much cooler than the one at Disneyland! It was a cool, cold first day in Zermatt!

I was immediately freezing! On goes the coat over my jacket!
Look at this backdrop!!! It was just gorgeous!
Here is a picture of the cork water bottle plug! HAHA...
They had a map of Zermatt on the train ride.
This is what our train looked like.
Most of the roofs were slate rocks. It looked rad. They all had pretty flower boxes in them.
A waterfall...
ALL HAIL THE SWISS!!!
Another pretty waterfall.
This is NOT the Matterhorn.
Inside the janky hostel.
Zermatt is a ski town, so it kind of reminded me of Park City, Utah. (But only a little...)
Checking my emails on the janky old skool computer.
THE MATTERHORN! BOO YAH!
This picture is for Debbie! She loved Raclettes when she went there a long time ago.
5 comments:
You got to see the Matterhorn!! LUCKY!! Now every time you go on that ride at D-land, you can say...I've see the real one! love all the pictures, so beautiful!
Wow! I love Switzerland! Any plans to go to Geneva?
If I could be any fictional character it would be Heidi, living up in the Swiss Alps eating goat's milk and toasted cheese with Grandfather. Everything looks so beautiful in your pictures! Even the ones out of the train window, which is saying a lot. We ALMOST resorted to eating at McDonald's yesterday when we were up in the Blue Mountains outside of Sydney because everything was SO expensive. I can't wait to go home to the land of dollar menus. Anyway, the Matterhorn is awesome. I hope I get to see it some day.
One travels to "have an adventure", right?!! We definitely had a few in Switzerland! Though it was colder than their normal (for the time of year), and TRES CHER in dollars, still, the experience was priceless!!! John and Floyd got some amazing photos of this magical place...
The scenery is AMAZING!!! Looks like a fun but FREEZING trip!! So, you guys didn't hike the Matterhorn and fly off it like Tinkerbell..WHATEVER!! hahahaha
Post a Comment